Friday, May 29, 2015

Labels


Labels

I hate labels. Labels limit, divide, marginalize and exclude. One labels himself  “Christian” and it means he is not a Hindu, Buddhist, Jew or Muslim. One is labeled “White” and it means he is not Black, Yellow, Red or Brown. One is labeled Canadian and it means he is not French, German or Spanish.  Labels are used to categorize. This one belongs with this group and therefore is excluded from all others.

Some wear their labels proudly feeling that their group is superior to all others. They are glad to separate themselves from the less fortunate, the ungodly and the less intelligent. When their superiority is challenged, wars break out. If all challengers are killed, surely their own superiority will be maintained.

I hate labels. Labels cause hatred, violence and wars. However there is one label that I wear. Not because it divides me from others, but because it unites me with the whole world. Not because it categorizes me as a minority, but because it identifies me with the largest majority possible. It identifies me with all humanity. Not because it makes me feel superior to others but because it makes me feel I am a part that is united to all. Not because it excludes me from all other groups but because it joins me to all other groups.

I hate labels because they are viewed as exclusive, but I wear one that is inclusive. I wear it reluctantly because many see labels as exclusive, so I must explain that the label I wear excludes no one.  

The label I wear does not divide the races of humanity but sees all as members of the human race. We are all part of the garden of humanity with its many coloured and beautiful flowers.

The label I wear does not identify me with one nationality but proudly proclaims that I am a world citizen. I love my sovereignty because it includes all and my love for all can tolerate no hatred for anyone. I may not like your habits or your deeds, but you, like me, where created by One God. Although we may not be perfect we can all strive to be better.  We can learn from each other and all become the best world citizens we can be.

The label I wear does not exclude me from any religion. In fact it recognizes that all religion comes from God. Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist. Hindu or any other can join hands and strive to unite all into one fold. The day when there will be One Fold and One Shepherd has arrived and we are now being called by this healing message. The Divine Physician has arrived that can heal the world of every disorder.

Each one of us is unique. We each have characteristics that make us different from all others. These differences are not to be abhorred. They should be embraced. We are made to work together and as parts of a well tuned machine, we all have our own roles to play. The machine only works when we all work together. The orchestra only sounds great when all a playing from the same page. We are all part of the Divine Symphony that has the power of unite the world.


There are a few labels that I associate with. These inclusive labels such as Humanity or World Citizen describe my position in the world. I was intending all telling all about this one inclusive label that I wear, and I am sure many have guessed it, but I now think it would be better if you investigate it and find it on your own. If you really want to know, you can email me and I will tell you or you can follow the following links that will help you to find this for yourself.

 




Contact the author at george@9li.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spammers, comments will be held for moderation. Stop spam by never replying to it no matter how good the deal looks. You will now have to log in to leave a comment.